He may have counted more birds than any other person we know, and while Noel Cutright counts birds, Treasures of Oz is counting the number of reasons why Noel, emeritus scientist with WE Energies, is a true Wizard of Oz.
1. Noel has given wings to many environmentalists and organizations. Noel jokes that when ever the Riveredge Bird Club (which he founded in 1986) supports a start-up organization, it takes off. Treasures of Oz is no exception. Noel has mentored and supported Treasures since shortly after its inception with wisdom, knowledge and personal involvement.
2. Recently Noel founded the Western Great Lakes Bird and Bat Observatory, with headquarters at Forest Beach Migratory Preserve. The mission of the Observatory is to advance knowledge of bird and bat populations and their conservation in Wisconsin and throughout the Western Great Lakes region through coordinated research, monitoring, and education using good science.
3. Noel is one of the environmental architects of the "5star bird hotel" at Forest Beach Migratory Preserve.
4. Noel was instrumental in helping to form the Wisconsin Bird Conservation Initiative (WBCI), which is looked to as a leader in state-based coordinated bird conservation efforts.
5. Noel is on the Board of Directors of Ulao Creek Partnership.
6. Noel is a key member of the Ozaukee Washington Land Trust and serves on its Board of Directors.
7. Noel was instrumental in the creation of Bird City, WI and serves on its steering committee.
8. Noel is past president of the Wisconsin Society for Ornithology.
9. He is a senior editor of the Atlas of the Breeding Birds of Wisconsin.
10. Noel received the prestigious Lifetime Achievement Award from the Gathering Waters Conservancy in 2007.
"A legendary citizen scientist, Dr. Cutright has made notable contributions to land conservation through his achievements as an ornithologist. As an Ecosystem Manager for We Energies and a renowned ornithologist, Dr. Cutright has raised both awareness and thousands of dollars for bird habitat protection in Wisconsin."
The Blog for Wisconsin Land Trusts Gathering Waters Conservancy
The counting here could continue, as does Dr. Cutright's with his beloved birds, but in the interest of conserving paper (should one print this out) or preventing our server from crashing, this count will remain a perfect 10.
On ten, Treasures of Oz is pleased to name Dr, Noel Cutright as the Wizard of Oz for June, 2012.